Commish Announces Retirement

Moderator: FloridaGMPJ

FloridaGMPJ
Team: Panthers

Re: Commish Announces Retirement

Postby FloridaGMPJ » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:14 pm

SimonT has a free client program that allows you to set your lines, set playing time, set your shootout roster, set your extra attackers depending on what line is out on the ice during a delayed penalty, etc.

The biggest expense I believe is setting up the web portal, if we went that route. Some leagues just use HTML Output and set up their own site and minimize expense that way.
Hagelin - MacKinnon - Virtanen
Fabbri - Barkov - Paajarvi
Haula - Draisaitl - Vecchione
Kerdiles - Gagner - Tuch

Pietrangelo - Morin
Murray - Jones
Provorov - Werenski

Holtby
Demko

KrisCanucksGM
Team: Canucks

Postby KrisCanucksGM » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:14 pm

I'm still in too. I'd rather keep my roster because, after a blood sacrifice and praying to whatever deity would listen, the Canucks finally made the playoffs but if we have to do a re-boot, I'll be okay. Would we do existing NHL players or go all fictional?

RedWings
Team: Red Wings

Postby RedWings » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:33 am

This SimonT looks pretty well done. I'd be on board if we switched to that. Same rosters or reboot, either way is fine with me. Says $27 CDN for a 2 year license, doesn't sound like much for 2 years worth of usage. I'd be willing to chip in a few bucks to help pay for it.
If you do not cheat, you do not try.
-Vladimir Konstantinov

FlamesGM
Team: Flames

Postby FlamesGM » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:50 am

I'd stay on if we switched. Let me know what you need
Ed
Calgary GM

Ducksgm
Team: Ducks

Postby Ducksgm » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:32 am

I would also stay if we keep with FHL or switch over to SimonT. I would also be willing to help out with things.

I do have the FHL Sim! I have zero experience in SimonT.

I dunno if I'd want to reset or not... I guess its becuase I've spent 10 seasons building this team and its pretty sweet!

SenatorsGM
Team: Senators

Postby SenatorsGM » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:42 pm

Ideally I'd like to stick with FHL and keep current rosters. But that might just be me

ColumbusGM
Team: Blue Jackets

Postby ColumbusGM » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:49 pm

i see we have a few people wanting to help out with switching sims, why not just stay with this sim and league we have? if we have a few people willing to "run" the league ill gladly put in time to be a part of that

FloridaGMPJ
Team: Panthers

Postby FloridaGMPJ » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:20 pm

If we stay with things as is, I'm fine with FHLSim. If majority are for a reset, I'll probably bail.
Hagelin - MacKinnon - Virtanen
Fabbri - Barkov - Paajarvi
Haula - Draisaitl - Vecchione
Kerdiles - Gagner - Tuch

Pietrangelo - Morin
Murray - Jones
Provorov - Werenski

Holtby
Demko

Blues
Team: Blues

Postby Blues » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:52 pm

What do you guys think of doing a soft reset, something like where we retain a limited amount of players (for example, 3F-2D-1G) and everyone else gets entered into a draft.

That way we at least get to retain a semblance of the hard work that all of us put in to build your teams. Up to you guys if you want to put it to vote and also to figure out exactly how many players we should each retain.

My issue with the FHL Sim is ties. Fucking ties man. The sim is just so old and oudated... I think my starting goalie had as many ties as he had wins.

Hurricanes GM
Team: Hurricanes

Postby Hurricanes GM » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:59 pm

there is a build of FHL with the shoot-out.

ColumbusGM
Team: Blue Jackets

Postby ColumbusGM » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:23 pm

Blues wrote:What do you guys think of doing a soft reset, something like where we retain a limited amount of players (for example, 3F-2D-1G) and everyone else gets entered into a draft.

i personally am against it. honestly if there a big reset to the rosters im out. whats the point of resetting? a bunch of teams have worked hard to build and draft and have manageable contracts. to me it feels like teams that are in a bind due to having a bunch of UFA's or bad contracts get an "easy" way out and get to dump those contracts and or players. To me the league is perfectly fine how it is. the only issue is the entry draft moving forward.

if there was a reset type of thing. i would be in favor of say protecting 10 Skaters and 2 goalies total from your pro and farm teams. that way teams that have young talent in the farm can have a choice to keep them. and teams can protect a decent portion of their team going forward. I think thats a fair option most teams have youth they want to protect so its not like teams will be protecting only the top 6 fwds and top 4 df on their pro roster. even a slight alteration to those number can be made to make sure teams dont just protect those top role players..

pens_gm
Team: Penguins

Postby pens_gm » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:31 pm

SimonT looks pretty cool be ok with a switch to it

SenatorsGM
Team: Senators

Postby SenatorsGM » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:08 pm

Just wanted to let people know. There has been alot of updates and work going into the fhlsim recently. I wouldn't consider it a "dead" simulator anymore.
Last edited by SenatorsGM on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blues

Postby Blues » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:42 pm

ColumbusGM wrote:
Blues wrote:What do you guys think of doing a soft reset, something like where we retain a limited amount of players (for example, 3F-2D-1G) and everyone else gets entered into a draft.

i personally am against it. honestly if there a big reset to the rosters im out. whats the point of resetting? a bunch of teams have worked hard to build and draft and have manageable contracts. to me it feels like teams that are in a bind due to having a bunch of UFA's or bad contracts get an "easy" way out and get to dump those contracts and or players. To me the league is perfectly fine how it is. the only issue is the entry draft moving forward.

if there was a reset type of thing. i would be in favor of say protecting 10 Skaters and 2 goalies total from your pro and farm teams. that way teams that have young talent in the farm can have a choice to keep them. and teams can protect a decent portion of their team going forward. I think thats a fair option most teams have youth they want to protect so its not like teams will be protecting only the top 6 fwds and top 4 df on their pro roster. even a slight alteration to those number can be made to make sure teams dont just protect those top role players..

I wouldn't be opposed to that idea either, so long as the majority is in favor of it.

As for updated versions of FHL Sim, do they function well? I thought I read that there were some issues with shootouts from another GM who had experience with it.

Hurricanes GM

Postby Hurricanes GM » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:26 am

I believe there are issues with the shoot-out version and NOT being able to sim through the playoffs.

However, I think you could possibly work around it by using a previous version of the sim to run your playoffs and just use the shoot-out version during the regular season. Havent tried it myself, but if you really wanted to bring the shoot-out to your sim - it could be a possibility.

RedWings

Postby RedWings » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:16 am

Where are these updated builds of FHLSim? And who is updating it?
-Vladimir Konstantinov

Hurricanes GM

Postby Hurricanes GM » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:49 am

I got the shoot-out build from Wynn (of FHL) when I bought it a couple of years ago. Im actually testing it now by running a season and then Im going to try and sim the playoffs with my regular build - which I think is the same as Jax uses. build .468 and see if it glitches out.

I dont know how much if anything Wynn from FHL is doing for the sim anymore. The FHL forum went down a couple of years ago and hasnt been back up.

There is another forum that was put up that actually has some frequent visitors, league advertisements, etc. Its basically a community forum that is not directly affiliated with FHL.. BUT is all about FHL.

There are add-ons, etc that are actually still being developed and done by members of the FHL community. Such as the GM online editor and a few others things here and there.

here is the link to the forum. not anywhere near as busy as the FHL forum was back in the day but does have frequent visitors.

http://fantasysimhockey.freeforums.net/

GMCanadiens
Team: Canadiens

Postby GMCanadiens » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:23 am

I'm also curious abut these FHL updates. I got the shootout copy from Wynn a few years ago but could never make the playoffs work with it. Didn't even think of trying the older build for playoffs.

Raffi
Team: Predators

Postby Raffi » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:12 am

I see more than the majority would like to see it run, however, I think we're at a situation which allows us to seriously reconsider an upgrade to the software. People do make valid points in regards to the work on their roster, such as Tampa, Ducks, etc. However, I think the upgrades we can earn in a software upgrade will be better for all of us, in the long run.

I think we should seriously consider a vote and for us to move forward. I've volunteered to purchase the new software and run it. I hope others will agree and I can start the set up.

RedWings

Postby RedWings » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:38 am

Supposed to be able to import rosters so couldn't we compromise same rosters with updated software?
-Vladimir Konstantinov

Raffi
Team: Predators

Postby Raffi » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:41 am

I don't know if the Simon T software, or, Franchise Simulator software supports that. I think Harry did state it did. If it did, I'm in favor for it (even though I wish I could learn from my mistakes and restart) :). Regardless, however the people vote, I'm still interested in running it and just making it continue. Personally, my vote would be for a reboot, a full write up on new rules, new policies, new website, and handles issues we've had here internal we couldn't fix. I also think it will give us the opportunity to see which GM's are willing to continue.

Any way, I'm in!

Blues

Postby Blues » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:57 pm

If we can get a working, updated version of FHL Sim, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I'm also in favor with Justin's suggestion so that we don't throw away the teams we worked many seasons to put together, but whatever the majority is in favor of, I'll be fine with whichever direction we go in.

TampaBay GM
Team: Lightning

Postby TampaBay GM » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Personally I don't like the new Sim the POFHL switched to it about 3 years ago when we restarted. But for the hockey fan it is pretty cool with the amount of different ways you can set lines. If anyone is interested we just finished our season not sure if we'll have any openings but drop me a note and I'll send you Craig's e-mail. Also this upcoming season he bought the on-line editor so you'll be able to make your lines on-line.
And yes my nickname in that league is Blair-Bitch mahahahahaha but since I've known most of these guys 15 years I'm down to about a bitch a year in that league.

TB GM

http://www.pofhl.us/home.php
or
http://www.fivehole.us/index.htm

Either site works.

Return to “League News”