Commish Announces Retirement

Moderator: FloridaGMPJ

Leafs
THE COMMISH
Team: Maple Leafs

Commish Announces Retirement

Postby Leafs » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:55 pm

First off I would like to thank everyone that is currently in the league for their participation and efforts. Everyone involved has helped make this one of the best leagues I've had the pleasure of being in. This is a solid group of GM's and it's rare to keep the core 20+ guys that we've had for so long. There have been disagreements and resignations along the way, but ultimately our love for hockey and sim leagues helped turn this into a successful league, and it is my hope that it will continue.

With that said however, a refresh of management is sometimes needed with new perspectives and ideas to continue pushing the league forward. So it is with sadness that I announce that this will be my final season as your commissioner. I gave it my all for seven seasons, but lately my heart just hasn't been as into it and I may also be moving in a few months, so the timing is right for me to find a replacement.

Now hopefully, we can secure a new commissioner before the offseason. If we get a volunteer, then great. If we get multiple volunteers then we can vote. Either way I will be happy to work with my successor and show them how to use the website. Now of course, the other side of the coin is we get no volunteers, in which case this will be the final season of the OSHL. But with death comes new life. Many of you have been clamoring for a league with younger players and this could be the perfect opportunity for a league reboot should there be someone willing to start one from scratch, hopefully with all the same GMs. Should this be the end, then I would like to extend an apology to our newer GM's who weren't able to have a full season with us.

As for this season, I will continue as normal until a champion is crowned so please continue to send in lines for integrity of the league and the spirit of competition. You may be questioning the timing of this announcement but it wasn't done without a lot of thought and consideration. I waited until after the deadline because I wanted a normal trade deadline process void of unnecessary trades, and my hope is the league will continue for those of you who traded away talent for youth. But I also want to give myself and the league enough time to have new management in place and set up before the offseason for a seamless transition.

Running a league can be tough but with a good group of people like we have here, you guys made it easy on me. So again, thank you for ten solid seasons of OSHL hockey so far and hopefully many more to come.

Sharks GM
Team: Sharks

Re: Commish Announces Retirement

Postby Sharks GM » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:23 pm

Jaxan on Sunday Mornin'

GMCanadiens
Team: Canadiens

Postby GMCanadiens » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:40 pm

It's a tough decision, and the league will miss having you at the helm. You've been a top notch commish; hats off to you! This is a great league so hopefully it continues.

TampaBay GM
Team: Lightning

Postby TampaBay GM » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:02 pm

Thanks for the memories Jax, and running a fair league not many like yours come along in a lifetime I can only think of three others the SPHL (Marc Seigel) which started THIS WHOLE INTERNET FANTASY HOCKEY back 18 or 19 years ago Then the WPHL (Vince Fillon) 1 & 2 & The POFHL (Craig Gorman) 1, 2, & 3

That said the Lightning GM will be retiring after this season as well. Like in cards sometimes you just gotta know when to go out on top!

Blues
Team: Blues

Postby Blues » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:45 pm

It was a good run Jax. Not many sim leagues last for 10 seasons but you managed to pull it off.

ColumbusGM
Team: Blue Jackets

Postby ColumbusGM » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:21 am

I nominate PJ as new overlord of the oshl lol

FloridaGMPJ
Team: Panthers

Postby FloridaGMPJ » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:40 am

Lol thanks a lot Justin. I dont have the time to take over. I'm barely hanging on with my current responsibilities. Adding another time consuming task would probably give me a heart attack.
Hagelin - MacKinnon - Virtanen
Fabbri - Barkov - Paajarvi
Haula - Draisaitl - Vecchione
Kerdiles - Gagner - Tuch

Pietrangelo - Morin
Murray - Jones
Provorov - Werenski

Holtby
Demko

Islanders
Team: Islanders

Postby Islanders » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks for taking so much time and running this league for so long.

So should we contact Alex?
"And the Sharks take a commanding 3-0 lead over the Los Angeles Kings!" Randy Hahn, 04/22/2014.

Hurricanes GM
Team: Hurricanes

Postby Hurricanes GM » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:29 pm

I really enjoyed this league for the better part of the last 2 years. I've been a little awol this season with a busy summer and new position at work and planned on calling it quits at the end of the season as well.

Thanks for your work and effort Jax. All the best to you.

Ducksgm
Team: Ducks

Postby Ducksgm » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:40 pm

It's a massive shame to see you step down Jax but ultimately if you have had enough there is no point in forcing an issue. You have been a great Commish and ran the league really well... probably the best I've been in and that's over 15 years.

I really hope we can find a replacement Commish who's at least half as good as you.

ColumbusGM

Postby ColumbusGM » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:33 pm

wondering what people think of having say 2 co-commish guys. split up time running games if the other is busy and can brain storm together on other commish league level ideas. ie. the store, rerates and such. even if Jax wanted to stay a co commish (not saying he does)and let the other guy just run games most of the time. Jax did a great job for a long time alone. no reason 2 guys cant work together so its not all on 1 guy to run the league.

RedWings
Team: Red Wings

Postby RedWings » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:25 pm

I wish I had the time to help run the league. :(

Jax I already told you in private but thank you again. You've done a fantastic job with all of this.
If you do not cheat, you do not try.
-Vladimir Konstantinov

KrisCanucksGM
Team: Canucks

Postby KrisCanucksGM » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:30 pm

Echoing what everyone has said - thanks for the time and dedication to keep the league running for this long. I hope it doesn't end but if it does, it's been a blast.

SenatorsGM
Team: Senators

Postby SenatorsGM » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Rough timing for me... but as a former commish I get it. Hopefully someone can take it over and keep it rolling

Raffi
Team: Predators

Postby Raffi » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:33 pm

Hey Guys,
I'm willing to step up. However, would people be willing to help with the setup? I think it would be a good opportunity to hit the "reset" button maybe and even, consider another software. I have no problem contributing the financial end of a new software.

My schedule will allow me to sim every other day.

For those who don't know, myself, Harry and Armand ran FHPL. Therefore, I do have prior experience.

I would hate to see what Jax has accomplished come to an end. I enjoy my relationships here and I think we should all keep this together and going.

Thoughts?

RedWings
Team: Red Wings

Postby RedWings » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:50 pm

What program did you have in mind, Raffi?
If you do not cheat, you do not try.
-Vladimir Konstantinov

Blues

Postby Blues » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:33 pm

In the past I pushed for Jax to go with SimonT Hockey Sim, which appears to be the spiritual successor of the FHL Sim.

http://sths.simont.info/ScreenShots_En.php

I think there is also an option to import FHL rosters into it. I haven't messed around too much with it, but it seems like a good choice given how updated the sim is with the new NHL rules and it also gives the option to expand.

I have no desire to run a league, but if you or anyone else wants to and needs help, I would be happy to lend a hand.

Raffi

Postby Raffi » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:37 pm

There are plenty to think of. A few seasons ago, we thought of Eastside. However, Franchise Hockey Manager 2 seems to be the best one on the market. Here are the websites:

https://www.ootpdevelopments.com/franch ... y-manager/

http://gmgames.org/section/nhl-and-hock ... tor-games/

ColumbusGM

Postby ColumbusGM » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:21 pm

id be in favor of switching to simon T if we can keep our rosters

Raffi

Postby Raffi » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Regardless, I'll be willing to do it. However, I think we might have to sacrifice and take the opportunity to go to a higher level sim which can offer much more advantages to us.

Blues

Postby Blues » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:28 pm

What's nice about the SimonT editor is that there is a free version available for other GMs to use. I don't think the Eastside Hockey Manager or Fantasy Hockey Manager work that way.

Also, reading reviews, it seems like Fantasy Hockey Manager stopped receiving support. The issue with sims like that one and Eastside is that I think it is more geared towards a single player experience of one person running a team, whereas SimonT is more geared towards having a custom league.

I'm not experienced with it though and have mostly just what I've researched. There's a message board for the SimonT editor and it seems like an active community, and the sim does receive updates and support.

http://sths.simont.info/Forum/

Raffi

Postby Raffi » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:16 pm

I think we should pick 5 to look at, and if people are willing to help by looking into each, we can put it up to a vote and move forward.

FloridaGMPJ
Team: Panthers

Postby FloridaGMPJ » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm in a SimonT league. I honestly love it. Its more advanced than FHLSim, and has a ton of cool features.

If we go to SimonT, I'd say we start fresh. First find out how many GM's we'll have. If we only have 20 GM's who want to remain in the league, maybe we do a 20 team league.

I will say, recruitment for SimonT isnt much better than SimonT. There are more people looking for a new league, but the doors arent breaking down either.

I could chip in and help sim too, or run some things. I have SimonT Sim actually and a valid license.
Hagelin - MacKinnon - Virtanen
Fabbri - Barkov - Paajarvi
Haula - Draisaitl - Vecchione
Kerdiles - Gagner - Tuch

Pietrangelo - Morin
Murray - Jones
Provorov - Werenski

Holtby
Demko

Hurricanes GM
Team: Hurricanes

Postby Hurricanes GM » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Eastside Hockey Manager... sigh.. I loved that game so much but cant get it to work on my latest pc.

Definitely be hard to try and run a league with though. I agree its really more suited for single-player.

If however, you guys do go with Simon T, I'd actually be interested in staying on. Roster re-set it or not. I run a FHL league but am interested in trying out Simon T. (as long as the GM editor is free)

BostonBruins
Team: Bruins

Postby BostonBruins » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:29 pm

I'm here to stay roster Re set or not too. I don't know how much I could help, but can offer some help if needed.

Return to “League News”