OSHL

Moderator: FloridaGMPJ

FloridaGMPJ
Team: Panthers

OSHL

Postby FloridaGMPJ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:33 am

Guys,

If I took over, and was able to get 3-5 sims in per week, would everyone still want to continue?

I think we would continue with the current rules. Maybe we look at adjusting UFA?

I'd emailed Jax for some beginner help with the sim, outputting the files, and uploading.

I would like some help though. People who have the sim. I have a full list of guys that aren't in OSHL that are in NHL, and I'd like to get those players created. Would someone be up for working on that?

I have the next 3 draft classes prepped. May need small tinkering but that is done.

Everyone share your thoughts please. My goal is to keep everything running as if Jax was still in place running the league, and we expand on some rules or adjust things that may not be working.

Thanks,
PJ
Hagelin - MacKinnon - Virtanen
Fabbri - Barkov - Paajarvi
Haula - Draisaitl - Vecchione
Kerdiles - Gagner - Tuch

Pietrangelo - Morin
Murray - Jones
Provorov - Werenski

Holtby
Demko

ColumbusGM
Team: Blue Jackets

Re: OSHL

Postby ColumbusGM » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:46 pm

I have the sim and am willing to help PJ. rule ideas, helping to create players. lemme know

Ducksgm
Team: Ducks

Postby Ducksgm » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:25 pm

You win the cup, so want to keep things running haha! Iv'e got the sim and could help out, but would have to get to grips with it!

But yeah I certainly would still be on board!

FloridaGMPJ

Postby FloridaGMPJ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:35 pm

I've honestly been thinking it over the last two weeks. The polls have bothered me a lot lol. I know that I want to continue with current rosters and FHLSim.

If another league spawns off, thats fine, and I'll likely do it, but my goal is to keep this up and running.

Honestly, a few people helping me out would be crucial, and if Justin is willing, and Tom, and maybe one or two others, we can divide and conquer.

I like Tom have to get some grip on the program. I'm sure it's not rocket science, but last thing I want to do is screw someone over or lose something, etc.
Kerdiles - Gagner - Tuch

Pietrangelo - Morin
Murray - Jones
Provorov - Werenski

Holtby
Demko

ColumbusGM

Postby ColumbusGM » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:02 pm

FloridaGMPJ wrote:I've honestly been thinking it over the last two weeks. The polls have bothered me a lot lol. I know that I want to continue with current rosters and FHLSim.

Agreed lol

i said in past posts that we should do a co-commish thing. 2 to 3 people running things to make things easier with rules,drafting,camps and even running games. im willing to be a part of that

FloridaGMPJ

Postby FloridaGMPJ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:07 pm

Well I do think we have a few that will help. You, me, Raffi, Tom, Harry prob would help with things.

We do need a few guys with the Sim, but someone who doesn't have the sim could also put the draft classes together. Or have someone run UFA as thats an offline task. Whoever runs it can send in signed players to me and I input them to the right team/right contract.

So there are ways to divy the workload up. I don't mind running the day to day simming though.
Kerdiles - Gagner - Tuch

Pietrangelo - Morin
Murray - Jones
Provorov - Werenski

Holtby
Demko

Ducksgm

Postby Ducksgm » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:22 pm

Really the work load is when it comes to things like creating prospects and camps I'd reckon and I could help with that as well as other things.

Blues
Team: Blues

Postby Blues » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:25 pm

I don't have a full version of FHL Sim but if you guys needed help with rosters, I really would like to rebalance all of the player ages.

When a rookie like McDavid and Eichel enter the league at their real current age and we have guys like Crosby and Karlsson and Doughty in their mid-late 30s already, it really doesn't make much sense to me.

Current rosters with fixed ages, do you guys like that idea?

RedWings
Team: Red Wings

Postby RedWings » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:37 pm

I'm in if we continue,.. but I'm only going to do 1 league, so if another league spawns its going to be one or the other for me.

Harry what do you mean by fixed ages? Every year they are rolled back so nobody ages?

I don't think a league is going to be able to mirror the NHL with as many seasons as we do in 1 calendar year. It's just inevitable that our current NHL group is going to get old in a simulation. Plus changing players ages can really change the league dynamic. Whoever has Crosby at his late 30s is now going to get 8-10 more years of him rather than 2-3.
If you do not cheat, you do not try.
-Vladimir Konstantinov

Raffi
Team: Predators

Postby Raffi » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:23 pm

Do you guys want me buying SimonT?

OilersGM
Team: Flyers

Postby OilersGM » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:20 am

I'm in for continuing the league as is. I'm not in for any new league or switching to SimonT

Flyers

Postby Flyers » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:08 pm

Continuing is a good idea. Maybe do a few sims a week, but more games at a time?

ColumbusGM

Postby ColumbusGM » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:59 pm

im cool with a mon wed fri type sim schedule, and keeping the # of days simmed the way Jax had it. 2-3 days per sim, that way we dont blow through the season too fast and run into catching up to the NHL in real life

ChicagoBlackhawks
Team: Blackhawks

Postby ChicagoBlackhawks » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:02 pm

I'm down for that. Not a fan of the roster reset. :)

FloridaGMPJ

Postby FloridaGMPJ » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:22 pm

Just spitballing an idea here. Obviously tweaks would be needed, and we would have to look at long term impacts, but considering the position we are in, this may be the best time to do something like this.

All players currently in the OSHL will revert back to the real life age. Contracts will remain the same.

All players currently playing in the NHL that retired from OSHL will be re-created, set at their current age, and added to the upcoming UFA Pool.

Every team will be given one free buyout, with the only rule being that the player must have 2 years remaining on their term once we roll into Season 11.

OSHL Salary Cap will rise for the first time to $72,500,000.

My thoughts on the above...

1) We will move all players in the league back to real life ages. This will grant more value to those guys who are in the 29-35 range, as they will be likely back in their prime years, and sporting solid ratings. We do have a major issue with ages, and I get it's a sim league with progression, but eventually we are going to run out of guys to bring in, and that will be the end of the league, no matter what we do.

2) To increase our player pool, increase parody, and make UFA fun and exciting, we can look at bringing in guys that are still playing in the NHL but gone from our league. It won't add a ton of players, but it will add some useful guys back into the mix.

3) I am looking at how can we free up room for teams to enter UFA with a chance at landing a good player. So this was my compromise. I don't want teams getting out of 4 or 5 year deals that just signed, so instead of saying one free buyout with no exception, my rule will make you use it on a guy you likely had to hold for awhile, but now you can free up $2-$4 mill in cap room by getting rid of them. That will also add to the UFA pool, as I would like to re-rate those players who were released, and perhaps bump them up.

4) We haven't raised the cap since it was set to $70 million. With the free buyout, plus the increase in cap of $2.5 million, that will be more than enough to make every team a player in UFA, if they choose to be.

I know some of these thoughts aren't going to be accepted by everyone, but I'm honestly looking at the health of the league, and we need to make some changes to keep this thing moving forward for awhile. I don't want to take over and run it 3 or 4 seasons and be in a spot where we are forced to restart. I want to keep the group of GM's and players rolling for another 10+ seasons if possible.
Kerdiles - Gagner - Tuch

Pietrangelo - Morin
Murray - Jones
Provorov - Werenski

Holtby
Demko

Blues

Postby Blues » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:13 pm

I'm fine with all of the above suggestions.

One thing I would like to see is stricter rules in terms of cap penalties as well given how much leeway team's will be given in terms of having cap flexibility.

Also, if we are to revert ages back, should we also consider dropping the ages of UFAs? I feel as though too many guys all get locked up at 5 years. Maybe drop the UFA eligibility age and we may see more big names being moved.

OilersGM

Postby OilersGM » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:41 am

I'm in favor of the ideas listed above. Not perfect solution but it helps solve some league issues.

kings
Team: Kings

Postby kings » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:16 am

i like those ideas

Ducksgm

Postby Ducksgm » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:17 am

I don't mind these changes at all.

But something to point out would be the mid-twenty guys that GM's have developed from being prospects. Take my team for example Ryan MacInnis is currently OV80 age 23... he would become an OV80 age 20.

Also guys like Boone Jenner is currently OV84 age 29... he would become an OV84 age 23.

Great for me as I can go and camp them again but is it great for the league?

ColumbusGM

Postby ColumbusGM » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:25 am

Ducksgm wrote:I don't mind these changes at all.

But something to point out would be the mid-twenty guys that GM's have developed from being prospects. Take my team for example Ryan MacInnis is currently OV80 age 23... he would become an OV80 age 20.

Also guys like Boone Jenner is currently OV84 age 29... he would become an OV84 age 23.

Great for me as I can go and camp them again but is it great for the league?

i agree it could kinda skew the league a bit. maybe have a age limit on players being rolled back. say players over 30 can only be reset like 4 years or something. players 29-24 can be reset 2 years

Blues

Postby Blues » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:07 am

I'd say lock out player progression on those who are 80+ overall and who are over a certain age. That way guys don't get over inflated overalls.

Leafs
THE COMMISH
Team: Maple Leafs

Postby Leafs » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Some suggestions...

1. Drop UFA age to 28
2. Cap all new contracts at 4 years
3. Eliminate free UFA resign, or place restrictions on it (IE - 2 years max, fair market value, etc)
4. For every year a players age is rolled back, they drop 1 OV. (IE - Boone Jenner 29yo, 84OV becomes 23yo 78OV. This keeps some progression that was earned while protecting against crazy high ratings)
5. Bring back retired OSHL players that are still in NHL and make them available in free agency this offseason

Blues

Postby Blues » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:57 pm

The rolling back of ages and overall by each decreased year does make a lot of sense. Great idea.

FloridaGMPJ

Postby FloridaGMPJ » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:39 pm

I was going to suggest something similar to what Jax said on age reset/overall.

I think moving UFA to 28 would be helpful.

I'm ok with max contracts at 4.

I would like us to keep the UFA Resign, but adjust it to be in between a discount and fair market value. Ex: Alex Pietrangelo. Old way I could probably get him signed at 7-7.5 million. Fair market is probably 10 million/year, so we force teams to meet in the middle. Maybe 8.5 to 9 mill year.

I'm not trying to jack up contracts, but if you want a stud, you need to pay up for them. It'll force teams to really think about it they want to use their UFA Resign.

I agree w Harry on the salary cap penalty. We need something that deters teams from going over and not fixing it. Not sure what is most valuable - perhaps training camp points? If you have 3 infractions you lose 2 training camp points. Also make an exclusion that injuries do not add into the 3 infractions.

I'll try to write up a rule proposal covering these topics. I'd rather spend some time discussing and cleaning up issues, then get everyone up to speed, then move into the offseason.
Kerdiles - Gagner - Tuch

Pietrangelo - Morin
Murray - Jones
Provorov - Werenski

Holtby
Demko

ColumbusGM

Postby ColumbusGM » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:43 pm

FloridaGMPJ wrote:
I would like us to keep the UFA Resign, but adjust it to be in between a discount and fair market value. Ex: Alex Pietrangelo. Old way I could probably get him signed at 7-7.5 million. Fair market is probably 10 million/year, so we force teams to meet in the middle. Maybe 8.5 to 9 mill year.

I'm not trying to jack up contracts, but if you want a stud, you need to pay up for them. It'll force teams to really think about it they want to use their UFA Resign.

There are a ton of players in the league that are 82 plus overall, for instance you have 4 and potentially upwards of 6 players like that all that would need a contract over 8 million, Im in the same boat. Even with an increased salary cap there is no way teams can build players and when they get good be able to resign them. im in favor of having set Salary ranges for a Overall range.

example

76-80 OV 2.5-5 million
81-84 5-7.5 million
85 and up 7.5 million and up
Still gives room to negotiate a players salary depending on age and contract length.

After i wrote all this i noticed you were specifically talking about UFA resign lmao oops but i still think its a good idea for normal contracts as well

Return to “League News”